Lexington Medical Center is seeking experienced Board-Certified Internal Medicine and Family Medicine Hospitalist Physicians to join our growing Graduate Medical Education program in West Columbia, SC. Academic Hospitalists for the Lexington Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program will devote a significant portion of their effort to resident education and providing assistance to the FM or IM Program Director in the development, leadership, supervision and ongoing maintenance of the residency program. Broad knowledge of accreditation requirements and involvement in the program, permitting evaluation of the program and completion of the annual ACGME Faculty Survey is required.
Qualifications and Skills:
The Academic Hospitalist must:
- Possess the required specialty expertise, as well as documented educational and administrative abilities, to carry out the responsibilities of the role and to achieve the goals and objectives of the program. Be board certified in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or combined Medicine-Pediatrics. Recognition of Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (FPHM) by the ABFM/ABIM is preferred for FM Academic Hospitalists. Demonstrate clinical competence as a practicing physician. Must be appointed good standing with Lexington Medical Center Medical Staff. Have unrestricted credentials within and be licensed to practice medicine by the State of South Carolina. Ideal candidates will have at least three years of clinical experience (beyond residency), working as a hospitalist and as a graduate medical educator. This position requires a strong commitment to patient- centered care and teaching, and the ability to work well in a team setting. Candidates should be skilled at delivering and receiving feedback preparing evaluations and advising and mentoring learners.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as a hospitalist and see patients as part of a high-quality team on the teaching service for Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. He/she will provide care to hospitalized patients or those on the Observation Unit, or Newborn Nursery (FM only) while supervising the training and education of the Family Medicine/Internal Medicine residents and medical students assigned to the service. This is a full-time position providing daytime coverage responsible for the care of patients admitted to the Family Medicine or Internal Medicine Teaching Service through the Emergency Room, designated patients admitted to the medical wards, Newborn Nursery (FM only) and other additional coverage as required. Position includes 7 on 7 off rotational schedule Engage in committee work, interdisciplinary quality initiatives to support an environment of inquiry and scholarly activity, and meets ACGME requirements As core faculty, provide precepting, teaching and evaluation functions for residents, medical students, and fellows. Ensure that residents are assigned clinical responsibilities appropriate for their level of training and level of knowledge and skill, and properly supervised in clinical assignments. Personally, demonstrate scholarly activity as evidenced by activities such as peer-reviewed funding, publication of original research in a peer-reviewed journal, publication of review articles of chapters in textbooks, publication or presentation of case reports or clinical series at local, regional, or national professional and scientific society meetings. Participate regularly in clinical discussions, resident conferences, rounds, journal clubs and M&M presentations. Daily responsibilities will also include timely completion of medical record responsibilities, as specified within the Bylaws of the medical staff at Lexington Medical Center.
About Lexington Medical Center GME Program:
Lexington Medical Center’s Family Medicine Residency Program is slated to matriculate the first class of 13 residents in July of 2023. In the spring of 2023, Lexington Medical Center’s state of the art 3-story 48,000 sq. ft. GME building will be completed. Outfitted to provide a full range of practice including family medicine, obstetrics & gynecology, internal medicine, and transitional year as well as resident work and wellness spaces.
- Base Salary Full benefits package including health, life, short- and long-term disability and malpractice – available day one Retirement Plans with Matching Contributions Sign on bonus and relocation assistance available Annual CME Allowance Public Student Loan Forgiveness Employer
- The Capital City/Lake Murray Region, located off I-26, I-20 and I-77, is in the center of the Palmetto State
- Low cost of living and home to some of the best school districts in the state
- Within driving distance to 7 major airports
- Located on the banks of the Congaree and Saluda rivers, and close proximity to Lake Murray, outdoor activities are plentiful
- Annual average temperature is 68 degrees in December
- Family Friendly Community
- Nationally recognized Zoo and Gardens
- College town home to SEC D1 Sports and several private universities