Section Chief, Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- CareerPhysician, LLC
- Syracuse, New York
- Highly competitive based on qualifications and rank
- Closing date
- May 29, 2023
- Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Position Type
- Chair / Chief / Department Head
- Full Time
- Organization Type
- Hospital / Medical Center
- Employment Type
On behalf of the Pediatric Service Group, LLP located at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY, and Chair of Pediatrics, Greg Conners MD, CareerPhysician, LLC, the leader in pediatric physician executive search, is pleased to inform you of the inception of a national search to identify the next Section Chief of Pediatric Hospital Medicine to succeed Dr. John Andrake and lead a division of eleven faculty hospitalists by creating and implementing a vision that will account for sustained quality and safety, faculty satisfaction, education, and scholarly output through innovation and an effective growth strategy to lead the section into the future.
The Upstate University Health System serves 1.8 million people, often the most seriously ill and injured, and includes Upstate University Hospital, Upstate University Hospital at Community Campus, Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital, and numerous satellite sites.
- The named Chief will report to the Chair of the Department of Pediatrics, and work closely with section and departmental leadership to achieve quality benchmarks and lead future recruitment efforts to account for clinical growth, create opportunities for faculty, scholarly work to advance the national reputation of the section, and recruit at least one additional faculty to the section.
- The Section of Pediatric Hospital Medicine houses a new ACGME accredited fellowship program with one fellow spot per year. They currently have a fellow for 2023 and 2024.
- The hospitalist service is run by three teams. Two teaching teams, each led by a hospitalist with senior residents, interns, and medical students, and a third team led by a hospitalist with nurse practitioners that have patients with behavioral/mental health concerns and straight forward medical problems. Each team sees 14-18 patients per day. There are three hospitalists on service each day and one hospitalist is assigned to cover all the hospitalist teams from home at night through a shared call rotation.
- Golisano Children’s is unwavering in providing fiscal support to expand Pediatric Hospital Medicine services to account for unforeseen surges in respiratory viruses that exceeded what is considered typical capacity. In addition, the institution provides salary funding for the majority of the hospitalists as well as continued support of hiring nurse practitioners and essential to help with various clinical activities.
- The pediatric hospital medicine section boasts of a high retention rate, only losing one faculty member within the past 10 years. The collaborative culture of the section is driven by a servant leadership style by the faculty. In addition, the hospital is well supported by dedicated board-certified pediatric emergency physicians.
- Applicants should hold the rank of Associate Professor or higher and be board certified in Pediatrics and board eligible or certified in Pediatric Hospital Medicine.
- In addition to a new Chief, the section is also approved to hire one faculty member for those interested and not yet qualified to lead the section.
US News & World Report ranks Syracuse as one of America’s best places to live and retire - affordable living, career opportunities, exciting entertainment and outdoor recreation, and an excellent quality of life. Central New York is home to world-class shopping; scenic drives to quaint towns and villages; top-notch sports teams; incredible restaurants, wine trails, and craft breweries; sprawling parks and great lakes; exciting nightlife in downtown Syracuse; and museums, performing arts, and festivals galore.
For more details about this opportunity, or if you would like to recommend an individual(s) who exemplifies the qualities we are seeking in a candidate, please contact Mark Lozano at [email protected], or at 469-553-9311. All interactions will remain confidential, and no inquiries will be made without the consent of the applicant.
Upstate Medical University is an AA/EOE/ADA employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Apply for Section Chief, Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert